Driver In a Nutshell
There are many types of disasters, both man-made and natural, that crisis management (CM) professionals have to deal with today. DRIVER is a unique multi-national project, working across many sectors, looking to find ways to implement a new approach to improving crisis management in Europe.
The DRIVER project brings together researchers, developers and practitioners from across Europe and focuses on three key areas:
- Improving civil society resilience so that local communities are better prepared to respond to, and recover from, a disaster;
- Strengthening first responders in terms of the crisis management solutions they have available to them;
- Training and learning solutions designed to enhance the capacities and capabilities of trainers and human resources professionals dealing with those involved in crisis management.
DRIVER is achieving these by establishing a distributed European test-bed for crisis management capability development with proven evaluation methodologies. DRIVER aims to assess and validate innovative, yet practical, crisis management solutions that work, that have been tried and tested, and above all are used for, and by, emergency practitioners.
DRIVER Step #1: Evaluation Framework
- Developing test-bed infrastructure and methodology to test and evaluate novel solutions, during the project and beyond. It provides guidelines on how to plan and perform experiments, as well as a framework for evaluation.
- Analysing regulatory frameworks and procedures relevant for the implementation of DRIVER-tested solutions including standardisation.
- Developing methodology for fostering societal values and avoiding negative side effects to society as a whole from crisis management and societal resilience solutions.
DRIVER Step #2: Compiling and evaluating solutions
- Strengthening crisis communication and facilitating community engagement and self-organisation.
- Evaluating emerging solutions for professional responders with a focus on improving the coordination of the response effort
- Benefiting professionals across borders by sharing learning solutions, lessons learned and competencies
DRIVER Step #3: Large scale experiments and demonstration
- Execution of large-scale experiments to integrate and evaluate crisis management solutions.
- Demonstrating improvements in enhanced crisis management practices and resilience through the DRIVER experiments.